Cyclone Movies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cyclone Movies

Your Source for Advanced Screenings in California

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Shutter Island

Go down 
3 posters

Did you enjoy Shutter Island?
Yes, I enjoy any psychological thriller.
Shutter Island I_vote_lcap50%Shutter Island I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 3 ]
No. I confess, I was one of the yawner.
Shutter Island I_vote_lcap33%Shutter Island I_vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
So-so. A movie is a movie.
Shutter Island I_vote_lcap17%Shutter Island I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
aznvi3t916

aznvi3t916

Shutter Island Empty
PostSubject: Shutter Island   Shutter Island I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 5:19 am

This movie just feel a mess. It's a typical pyschological msytery that's not as scary as all the advertisements tried to hype up. The main plot of the story was okay, but nothing that hasn't been done before.

What really turn me off about this movie was the flashbacks. At the beginning, there was really very little explaination as to what the flashbacks were all about. You don't really understand their relavences to the story until the very end and even then I would say the movie could have progress fine without it.

Because of these flashbacks, the movie seems to progress so slow. One minute you enjoy the story playing out, next thing you know, a flashback occurs without warning. These flashbacks are short at first, but they become longer and longer as the movie goes on with still no explaination as to their importance to the story. What really annoys me is that the same flashback sequence is played over and over again with short add-ons each time, it feels like a broken record.

The solo cello suspence music would set a good intense mood if you're really intending to scare the audience, but if there is nothing scary about the scene, then it becomes an annoyance when that music is blarrying at you in full surround sound. Time has changed Mr. Scorsese, people are not scare of solo cello anymore. The new scary music is complete sillent with nothing but a quiet heart beat and deep shallow breathing.

You can't blame me for being bored because I did heard a couple yawnings in that theater. I'll confess, 1-hr 30-min into the movie, I turned on my defense mechanism and took a 15-min nap.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Twitter.com/teehee908/
Will.i.am

Will.i.am

Shutter Island Empty
PostSubject: Shutter Island   Shutter Island I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 5:45 am

I enjoyed this film. The flashbacks are clues to the ending, feeding you little more each time. If you can put them together, you may figure out where the story is going before you get to the end. Hardly anything is new in the movies anymore. The pacing of the film and the muddled flashbacks are part of the main character's confused and struggling state of mind trying to deal with his life. it is unfortunate that trailers are made by hired independent experts whose only purpose is to get audiences into the theater and probably haven't seen the whole film. If you want lots of action and scary, this is not the film for you. You are going to have to think if you want to enjoy this psycholocial thriller. I found the film visually rich and stimulating. I hope you enjoyed your nap. Sleep
Back to top Go down
aznvi3t916

aznvi3t916

Shutter Island Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shutter Island   Shutter Island I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 4:04 pm

Awesome! It looks like if I berate a movie, people are more excitable to participate in the discussion rather than simply come in for the free passes only.

It’s not the lack of action/violence that bored me; in fact, I didn’t expect there would be major actions with this movie in the first place. It’s the slow pace of the story played out. So it seems that Scorcese did a great job depicting Terry’s confusion and slow decent into madness, so much that I was also confused along with the character trying to figure out what does all the plot deviations have to do with the main story. If other screeners were able to solve the puzzle before it’s over, then congratulations to them. However, from what I’ve heard, a lot of other people were also confused about one-third of the way into the movie as well. I felt that if sitting there confused and slowly losing interest in the story, it’s best to step away for a bit and freshen your mind before coming back into the party. I did caught the last act of the movie, and it’s only then that everything fits together. Maybe for this story, it’s better to read the novel rather than seeing the movie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Twitter.com/teehee908/
PenguinLips

PenguinLips

Shutter Island Empty
PostSubject: Difference of Opinions   Shutter Island I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 6:02 am

I think people like to comment when they see things differently. It is always good to get different opinions and not believe just one person. I liked this film too. I like trying to figure out puzzles and sovling mysteries. I enjoy Scorsese's film artistry. I liked the performances. BTW, Leonardo's character's name was Teddy. Anyone else like or hate this film?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shutter Island Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shutter Island   Shutter Island I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shutter Island
Page 1 of 1